University Student Leaders Make Demands to the Gov’t Over Funding
University Student Leaders Make Demands to the Gov’t Over Funding. Leaders of university students have requested that they be included in negotiations about the introduction of a new funding model from the Ministry of Education. The President of the University of Nairobi Student Association (UNSA), Monicah Malith, emphasised the need for the Ministry to work with student leaders in a recent TV interview to address concerns over the government’s planned funding model.
Malith’s assertion illustrates the rising anxiety over the standards the government employs to decide who qualifies for support. She emphasised the significance of the Ministry of Education convening conferences with student representatives to discuss the subtleties of the new funding arrangement.
Priority will be given to vulnerable students under this new approach, especially those from very poor and low-income homes. The government will cover 82 percent of a student’s tuition costs through scholarships if they fall under the category of “vulnerable,” with the remaining 18 percent being handled by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
The Technical University of Kenya’s president, Muchoki Kirera, raised doubt about a number of features of the new funding scheme. The timescale for implementation, the allocation method, and the number of students who will benefit from this loan programme were all described as being unclear by Kirera.
Although the leadership of university students has expressed support for the government’s plans, they need more transparency and details regarding the new funding mechanism in general.
It’s important to note that, in accordance with the new higher education finance model, the government recently eliminated the demand for a national ID as a requirement for eligibility for state financing.