Approved Hardship Areas Allowances per Job Group
Approved Hardship Areas Allowances per Job Group. During the years 2023–2025, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) of Kenya recently published an updated list of hardship areas and allowances per job group.
The TSC reportedly pays a portion of teachers who work in designated hardship zones a monthly hardship allowance.
Food, transportation, and other necessities are scarce in these places.
The allowances are intended to make up for the difficult working conditions faced by teachers.
Also, according to, house allowance is paid differently depending on where a teacher works, with most places being paid in accordance with the allowances of other places.
Additionally, teachers who are confined to wheelchairs or who are blind receive a monthly allowance of Ksh. 15,000.
Explains that TSC will re-post advertisements for 14,000 positions in January 2023 and will establish new promotion guidelines for the year 2023–2024.
These improvements will guarantee that educators in challenging circumstances receive the required reimbursement for the challenging circumstances they encounter.
What Factors Do TSC Take Into Account While Mapping Kenya’s Hardship Areas?
- Services not being offered and inadequate social amenities.
- Risks to teachers’ lives posed by terrorism and banditry
- Harsh weather conditions including floods and drought.
- A bad communication and transportation network
- Lack of food availability and excessive prices
- Desert and semi-desert regions.
Newly Approved Hardship Areas In Kenya.
- Kwale county
- Kilifi county
- Turkana county
- Taita Taveta County
- Tana River County
- Mandera County
- Lamu county
- Isiolo county
- Wajir county
- West Pokot county
- Samburu county
- Narok county
- Garissa county
- Marsabit county
Recently, TSC mapped four additional areas that may experience hardship. They consist of:
- Suba and Mbita subcounties of Homabay County
2. Tiaty East, Tiaty West, and Marigat sub-counties in Barigo North.
3. Mumoni, Mutito North, and Teikuru sub-counties are in Kitui County.
4. Loitoktok, Mashuuru, and Kajiado West in Kajiado County
The rates of the monthly hardship payments made to teachers who work in disadvantaged areas are listed in the table below, broken down by employment group: