Teachers and parents have been in arguments about who will teach in junior secondary schools. It has been revealed that JSS will fall under the following category:
- The junior secondary schools in the counties where they are already working will be assigned to intern teachers who are currently teaching at secondary schools.
- Primary school teachers who possess the following credentials (a degree and diploma in special needs education, a degree and diploma in early childhood development education, a diploma in education (primary option), a diploma in education (secondary option), and a bachelor’s degree in education (secondary option), but who do not possess a C+ at the KCSE or a C+ in their subject matter for teaching, for example) are eligible to teach.
- Newly employed secondary teachers or primary teachers who possess the aforementioned credentials.
From the starting of January 2023 , the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) will start preparing teachers for junior high and high schools.
In addition, Dr. Ruto has given the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD), the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), and the Ministry of Education (MoE) instructions to “work on modalities of fast-tracking retooling teachers to ensure the country has enough teachers who are compliant with CBC.” The president declared that the government will hire around 30,000 more teachers in January in order to increase the capacity of the teaching staff.
The teachers’ employer has announced the new pay scale for teachers who will work in junior-senior high schools and use competency-based curricula.
With a baseline pay range of between Sh 34,955 and Sh 43,694 for job grade C2 instructors and between Sh 43,154 and Sh 53,943 for job grade C3 teachers working with junior secondary students, respectively.
In addition, they will get payments like;
- Commuting allowance of 5,000 shillings
- Housing allowance of 7,500 shillings
- Hardship allowance of 10,900 shillings. House allowances are determined by the area in which you are located.
House Allowance for TSC Teachers by Job Group and Region
Teachers in Nairobi now to get increased housing benefits as a result of the city’s escalating rents.
Keep in mind, nevertheless, that significant municipalities only applies to those regions inside major towns.
The following table details how other former municipalities and other places in Kenya are compensated: