Updated Form One Selection Rules And Guidelines 2023-2024
Updated Form One Selection Rules And Guidelines 2023-2024. Kenya has introduced new Form One admission guidelines which ensure that the top five standard eight candidates from each sub-county, whether they attend public or private schools, gain automatic admission to national schools after the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examinations.
The rules, proposed by a task force appointed in July to address concerns about private schools, aim to increase the fairness and transparency of the selection process.
A significant change is the increase in the number of students from subregions admitted to national schools from three to five. To streamline the selection process, the 103 national schools have been grouped into clusters, requiring candidates to choose one school from each cluster.
Form One Selection. A new proportional system was introduced for non-regional schools, with 20% of spaces reserved for the host subregion, 40% for the host region, and the remaining 40% for other regions. Notably, public school pupils now provide 70% of out-of-county admissions, while private schools receive the remaining 30%, a shift from the previous 50:50 split.
The guidelines emphasize merit and selection and outline an equitable distribution of available seats in district schools, with 20% reserved for the host subdistrict and 80% for the host county. The selection process for sub-regional schools is based solely on merit and preference.
To promote national cohesion, candidates are encouraged to select three out-of-district schools, with one selection outside the host county of their elementary school. This diversification aims to promote integration between students from different regions.
Form One Selection. In cases where candidates are not selected for national or non-district schools, the guidelines ensure that they are considered for placement at any of their three regional schools. This step enhances the flexibility of the system and caters to students based on their preferences.
Another measure focuses on preventing intermediaries from taking advantage of the admissions process. Schools are encouraged to engage directly with parents to fill any vacancies, thereby reducing the influence of intermediaries who may seek financial gain.
In short, these new guidelines prioritize transparency, fairness and student choice in the Form One admissions process. By increasing the number of sub-county students admitted to national schools, adjusting ratios for out-of-district admissions and promoting merit-based selection, Kenya’s education system seeks to provide equal opportunities for students in different regions and school types.